Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
Do you possess a background in human resources and want to take your career to another level? How about doing it with UNHCR ? Apply for Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR.
Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
Hardship Level C
Family Type Non Family
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type Professional
* Staff members will not normally serve in International Professional positions in the country of their nationality. In addition, in case of a first appointment upon recruitment, the assignment must be outside the staff member’s country of nationality.
In practical terms this means that you are not eligible to apply for International Professional vacancies advertised in the country where you are national of.
Reason Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted No
Target Start Dat e2023-05-25
Job Posting End Date June 15, 2023
Standard Job Description
Associate Human Resources Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Associate Human Resources Officer supports the UNHCR’s People Strategy and contributes to the implementation of the 2018 independent Human Resources review, which resulted in the establishment of HR strategic priorities and the reconfiguration and transformation of the Division of Human Resources (DHR) from a largely transactional model into a strategic business partner for field operations and senior management.
Having the right people in the right place at the right time is at the core of enabling UNHCR to protect and respond to persons of concern. By attracting, retaining and developing a talented, diverse and agile workforce while nurturing a culture of excellence, respect and wellbeing for all, UNHCR¿s Human Resources acts as a strategic partner to the organization, enabling a people-centric culture.
The Associate Human Resources Officer provides support and assistance in the areas of operational support, workforce planning, assignments and talent acquisition, organizational cultural changes, HR policy implementation and duty of care. The incumbent maintains employee confidence and protects the organization and its workforce by keeping human resources information confidential.
The Associate Human Resources Officer is usually supervised by the HR Officer or Senior HR Officer or Head of Office in a Country Operation, or the most senior HR staff in a Regional Bureau. She/he usually supervises HR General Service staff.
The incumbent maintains a direct working relationship with a number of units within the Division of Human Resources (DHR). The incumbent also works closely with the Senior HR Partner, the Senior Medical Officer and the Senior Staff counsellor for his/her region.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Duties ; Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
Workforce Operational Support:
– Assist in implementation of HR initiatives that support organizational culture change such as good people management practices, and promoting gender, inclusion and diversity.
– Implement HR operational activities to ensure timely provision of HR solutions, prioritizing according to the needs and risks.
– Contribute to the development of a HR customer service-oriented culture that values proactivity, continuous improvement, innovation and high performance.
– Provide support, guidance and trainings to HR staff.
Assignments and Talent Acquisition: Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
– Coordinate the process of recruitment, assignment and reassignment of locally-recruited staff and affiliate workforce, also assisting with set up and running of (Regional) Assignments Committee where relevant.
– Assist in organizing outreach campaigns to attract diverse applicants. Ensure proper consideration is given to all applicants without distinction on the grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
– Analyse, track and report on recruitment and assignments trends for management, including efforts to reach gender parity.
– Take a proactive approach to risk management in the areas of recruitment, ensuring the issues are identified, addressed and reported and, where appropriate, escalated.
Advice to managers and staff, and contribution to an inclusive work environment:
– Build dialog and outreach with staff; answer questions, and provide information to staff as to where to go for help or ask questions.
– Be proactive in identifying issues, themes and patterns affecting the workforce¿s health and welfare, including sexual harassment and abuse of authority.
– Ensure that on-boarding, induction, re-integration into the workplace and off-boarding support, is provided to colleagues. Induction programmes should include information on Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) and Sexual Harassment, Code of Conduct as well as workforce¿s rights and obligations.
HR policies and inter-agency: Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
– Enforce compliance with UNHCR¿s Human Resources policies and procedures and the UN staff rules, regulations and UNHCR administrative instructions.
– Participate in the ICSC survey on living conditions and classification of duty stations as well as in the UN Country Team local staff salary survey and other local inter-agency HR-related fora and initiatives.
Duty of Care: Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
– Contribute to establishing and maintaining a medical evacuation plan with senior management, Field safety and the Senior Medical Officer.
– Assist in the security and medical evacuations of UNHCR personnel.
– Support the implementation of a Duty of Care strategy. Identify and assess issues related to duty of care including physical, mental health and safety of UNHCR¿s workforce, promoting workforce balance.
For positions in Regional Bureaux only:
In the absence of a Senior Talent Development Officer in the Bureau:
– Contribute to the implementation of a talent development strategy for UNHCR workforce in the region, in line with UNHCR¿s needs and staff members¿ career planning.
– Contribute to the implementation of a talent sourcing and acquisition plan to identify talent mainly among but not limited to national staff and affiliate workforce in the region.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications for Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education for Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
Human Resources Management; Human Resources Development; Personnel Administration;
Business Administration; or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience : Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
Experience working in Human Resources. Knowledge of general HR policies, processes and systems.
Experience in one or more of the following areas: HR Administration, workforce planning, recruitment, HR policy or talent development. Experience in HR information technology systems and tools. Experience in field humanitarian operations and/or emergency settings. Experience working with the United Nations. Experience working in a multi-cultural setting.
Functional Skills : Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
HR-Local mass recruitment
HR-Talent Development and Nurturing
HR-HR data and people analytics
HR-Employee Relationship Management
HR-HR Business Partnering
MG-Client Relationship Management
HR-Inclusion, Diversity and Gender strategy design and implementation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Language Requirements : Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile The incumbent of the position should have:
– Experience in Workday.
– Experience in staffing planning exercises, and with COMPASS – position planning and budget apportionment.
– In-depth Knowledge of UNHCR internal HR policies, processes, and procedures.
– Performance management skills including remote management.
– Previous experience in recruitment, including vacancies management national, international and AWF, interviews and selection preparations, recruitment procedures and formalities, on-boarding, etc.
– Previous supervisory experience/exposure in similar context.
– Flexibility and adaptability.
– Strong communication and negotiation skills.
– Client orientation and conflict resolution.
– Excellent drafting skills.
– Ability to work under pressure and ability to multi-task.
– Ability to adapt easily to different operational changes and shift in priorities.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
To view occupational safety and health considerations for this duty station, please visit this link:
Nature of Position:
In 2022, the UN in Iraq took several decisions to advance the transition from a humanitarian IDP response to more development-focused interventions, including the deactivation of the Cluster response for IDPs and the end of the HRP as of 1 January 2023 given most IDPs had returned home and achieved a similar level of realization of their rights as the rest of the population.
Accordingly, UNHCR is reducing its individual assistance to IDPs and is shifting its support towards strengthening the capacities of relevant public institutions to deliver services to its population, including for the 180,000 IDPs remaining in camps in KRI.
Individual assistance to IDPs/IDP returnees has been discontinued in 2023, save in relation to access to civil documentation, advocacy for inclusion of IDPs in Government social safety net and the transfer of responsibilities regarding IDP camps to relevant municipal and KRG authorities insofar as service provision and camp management are concerned. The transition also has an impact on the work of HR, as the development-focused intervention requires different profile of staff.
The position of Associate HR Officer is based in Erbil and has country-wide responsibilities on providing HR support and oversight of all HR related activities in the operation. The incumbent will report to the Senior HR Officer and will supervise 3-4 national HR staff.
Living and Working Conditions:
Erbil is a C category duty station. Eight weeks R&R cycle applies for international staff assigned in Erbil. Staff members are residing in the individual residential apartments inside the security cleared hotels or complexes. UNHCR shuttle service is available for the staff member to commute to and from the office during working days. For private movements, staff members can use only UNDSS cleared taxi companies.
UN Clinic is available within the UN compound in Erbil with physician and nurse. In addition, there are available hospital and health centers with English-speaking staff. Food and other commodities are widely available in the local shops and markets, including international products.
Banking facilities and services are not easily accessible, therefore, cash is the main means of settlement of various bills. Both local currency (Iraqi Dinar referred to as IQD) and USD are equally accepted for any payments. Several international airlines operate daily flights from Erbil International Airport to a number of large international airports in Europe as well as Middle East.
For further information please consult Living Conditions in the Field at: https://intranet.unhcr.org/en/hr/personnel-admin/LC/living-conditions-in-the-field—publications.html.
Skills HR-HR Policies-Trends/initiatives/best practices in UN Common Syst, public&private sectors, HR-Talent Management Systems, HR-Vacancy Management
Education Bachelor of Arts (BA): Business Administration (Required), Bachelor of Arts (BA): Human Resource Development (Required), Bachelor of Arts (BA): Human Resources Management (Required), Bachelor of Arts (BA): Personnel Administration (Required)
Certifications CP-HRM Certification Programme for HR Management – UNHCR, Human Resources Management – Other
Work Experience Annual Budget OL in Operation/Office, Number of Persons of Concern Served, Number of Workforce in Operation/Work Setting, Workforce to Supervise, Working with Persons of Concern: Asylum Seekers, Working with Persons of Concern: Internally Displaced Persons, Working with Persons of Concern: Refugees, Working with Persons of Concern: Returned IDPs, Working with Persons of Concern: Stateless
Competencies Accountability, Analytical thinking, Change capability & adaptability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Managing performance, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator
Associate Human Resources Officer Job at UNHCR
Add. 2 to March 2023 Compendium – Part B
Functional clearanceThis position doesn’t require a functional clearance