Budget and Finance Specialist at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) (VLA 3300usd/ permonth)
Budget and Finance Specialist at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) (VLA 3300usd/ permonth)
To receive quick updates subscribe to our ; (if you have joined any of our platforms share the links with your networks
Join our WhatsApp group (if you have joined one of our WhatsApp groups don’t join this group) by clicking here https://chat.whatsapp.com/Fh2Izpz8rUXEvPh2iAfA6M .
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/company/united-nations-careers-com/
Website : https://unitednationscareers.com/
Join our Facebook group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/545072486807074 Follow us on twitter : https://twitter.com/unacareers_com
Join our Telegram Group by clicking here : https://t.me/unitednationscareers
New opportunity for International UN Volunteer Specialists.
✅ Budget and Finance Specialist at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in #Jerusalem
💼 3 years experience in Finance and budgeting.
🎓 Master’s degree in Business administration, Finance, or related field.
📆 Deadline: 22 May 2023
Description of assignment title
Budget and Finance Specialist
State of Palestine
Expected start date
Sustainable Development Goal
2. Zero hunger
International UN Volunteer Specialist
DoA reserved for persons with disabilities
6 months (with possibility of extension)
Number of assignments
Mission and objectives
Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts – to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. Our mandate is to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic growth. To meet the demands posed by major global trends in agricultural development and challenges faced by member nations, FAO has identified key priorities on which it is best placed to intervene.
A comprehensive review of the Organization’s comparative advantages was undertaken which enabled strategic objectives to be set, representing the main areas of work on which FAO will concentrate its efforts in striving to achieve its vision and global goals. The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is an intergovernmental Organization with more than 190 member countries. Since its inception, FAO has worked to alleviate poverty and hunger by promoting agricultural development, improved nutrition and the pursuit of food security – defined as the access of all people at all times to the food they need for an active and healthy life.\ To achieve its goals, FAO cooperates with thousands of partners worldwide, from farmers’ group to traders, from non-governmental organizations to other UN agencies, from development banks to agribusiness firms (further and more detailed information on FAO can be found on the internet site: http://www.fao.org).
FAO’s work in West Bank and Gaza Strip is guided by its Country Programming Framework for Palestine (CPF). The overall objective of the CPF is to contribute to the wellbeing of Palestinians – making the agrifood system more inclusive, sustainable and resilient. To this effect, the CPF adopts a nexus approach to bridge humanitarian and development interventions, recognizing the centrality of environmental sustainability and market led development and their dependence on the enabling environment put in place by the public sector policies and investment priorities.
More specifically, the CPF sets out four priority areas for FAO partnership with the Palestinian Government for the period 2018-2022 in alignment with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development as follows: Priority 1: Sustainably managed natural resources in the agrifood value chains. Priority 2: Increased competitiveness of the agrifood value chains. Priority 3: Enhanced protection and inclusion of highly vulnerable groups in agrifood value chains. Priority 4: Improved safety, quality, nutritional value and sustainability of food consumption. The assignment is envisaged to support the Operations Unit in budget preparations and finance management.
Under direct supervision of Operations Specialist, the UN Volunteer will perform the following tasks: Budget preparation
• Prepare cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of office resource requirements such as staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects, reviews, analyses and revises data with respect to the finalization of the budget proposals.
• Provide support to the operations unit with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Monitor extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Monitor budget implementation and determine /recommend reallocation of funds when necessary.
• Monitor expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized/approved levels.
• Prepare relevant documentation with respect to budget performance submissions.
• Review and make appropriate recommendations with respect to the finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Contributes to the collection and analysis of data as well as identification of trends or patterns and provides draft insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Monitor income generated to ensure that funds are fully utilized within the authorized period. Financial management
• Monitor the preparation of project documents and their subsequent revisions.
• Ensure that proposals are in line with funding agreements and donor requirements.
• Review draft agreements with donors or UN organizations before administration clearance.
• Coordinate and check financial reports as well as progress reports. Perform other duties as required.
27 – 80
Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or related field is required. A first level university degree combined with an additional two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) qualification or equivalent is desirable.
• Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
• Finance, administration, budget or related area is required.
• Preparing financial reports to intergovernmental bodies or donors is required.
• Managing financial resources in accordance with rules and regulations of an international organization is desirable.
• One year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
• Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills.
• Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing.
• Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
• Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, among others), email, and internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment.
Area(s) of expertise
Business management, Economics and finance
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Master degree or equivalent in business administration, finance, or related field
Competencies and values
• Accountability • Adaptability and flexibility • Creativity • Judgement and decision-making • Planning and organising • Professionalism
Living conditions and remarks
The UN Volunteer will be living in Jerusalem which is a family duty station. It is currently at UNDSS security level MODERATE. A
s is the case for UN staff and partners, the volunteer will make his/her own arrangements for housing and transportation to and from work. International UN personnel rent furnished or unfurnished apartments found using agents or by word-of-mouth through colleagues.
Personnel in Jerusalem and its vicinity usually use their own cars for transportation. Internationals who want to arrive or leave the country can either enter through Queen Alia International Airport in Amman, Jordan, and cross King Hussein/Allenby Bridge or Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, Israel.
Travel into the West Bank is only permitted in a UN vehicle with a UN driver and no overnight stays are permitted except for at locations cleared by UNDSS.
Travel into Gaza is only permitted in an armoured UN vehicle with a trained driver. Overnight stays in Gaza are strictly confined to an approved, secure hotel. Jerusalem has a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and short, wet, cool winters; temperature and rainfall vary depending on altitude and location.
The Palestinian dialect is common to Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and parts of Iraq. In Jerusalem, both English and Hebrew are also common. The Israeli shekel (NIS) is the currency of the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel.
The time zone is GMT +2 hours. The health care sector is divided into public and private health services. The public health service is accessible to all. Better health services can be found at private clinics and hospitals, which are spread out mainly in larger cities. Sophisticated medical care, including for children, is available throughout Jerusalem.
Primary and secondary education is available for the children of international personnel in Jerusalem, which include schools such as the Anglican International School of Jerusalem and the Lycée Français de Jerusalem. There are different mobile service providers in Palestine. Partner is the Israeli phone company used by most UN Agencies in Jerusalem. For West Bank and Gaza strip, the Palestinian company Jawwal is also available.
In some areas in the West Bank and in the whole Gaza Strip, partner does not have coverage and Jawwal is necessary to ensure communication. Incoming phone calls from most of the countries in the Arab region are not possible due to the restrictions imposed by some States against Israel. Skype is the best option to communicate abroad.
Palestine has a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and short, wet, cool winters; temperature and rainfall vary depending on altitude and location. The Palestinian Arabic dialect is common to Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt and parts of Iraq. In Ramallah, English is also common.
The Israeli shekel (NIS) is the currency of the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel. Time zone is GMT +2 hours. UN Volunteers are granted an Israeli Multiple Entry Service Visa prior to arrival, which will not allow entrance to most of the countries in the Arab region, apart from Jordan and Egypt.
Some countries provide their citizens with a second passport if they work and live in Israel to be able to travel freely in the region. Please check with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs for more information. For more information about the occupied Palestinian territory humanitarian context, see: www.ochaopt.org.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics.
As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
Note on Covid-19 vaccination requirements
Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy
Apply here for Budget and Finance Specialist at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
🔗 Apply at https://lnkd.in/eKeGCcfm