Head of Operations in Sudan
DRC Sudan has experienced a significant strategic and operational shock following the onset of the crisis and as the country operation is responding to the evolving emergency as part of the inter-regional Sudan response plan. With the outbreak of conflict, DRC Sudan has reprogrammed activities to emergency modalities, and has deployed emergency teams to participate in joint needs assessments as well as conduct Rapid Protection Assessments. To that effect, DRC is looking for a motivated Head of Operations in Sudan.
To receive quick updates subscribe to our ; (if you have joined any of our platforms share the links with your networks
Join our WhatsApp group (if you have joined one of our WhatsApp groups don’t join this group) by clicking here https://chat.whatsapp.com/Fh2Izpz8rUXEvPh2iAfA6M .
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/company/united-nations-careers-com/
Website : https://unitednationscareers.com/
Join our Facebook group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/545072486807074 Follow us on twitter : https://twitter.com/unacareers_com
Join our Telegram Group by clicking here : https://t.me/unitednationscareer
Head of Operations in Sudan
Overall purpose of the role
The overall objective of the Head of Operations in Sudan is to ensure the accountability of DRC’s programme towards the humanitarian needs in Sudan and the donors supporting the response. The Head of Operations ensures that DRC’s projects bring a significant contribution to meeting immediate humanitarian needs during the emergency and other early recovery programming, aiming to secure productive and just communities. The Head of Operations is a key senior position in the DRC country set up, responsible for cross-cutting programmatic delivery and financial management in accordance with contractual obligations and country strategy. The post holder is part of the senior management team (SMT) and supports the Country Director in representing the country operations to government, donors and other stakeholders, working collaboratively with the Head of Programmes (HoP) the Head of Support Services (HoSS).
Area Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Effectively manage the Area Managers with an emphasis on excellence, promoting a culture of cooperation, learning, creativity, and innovation.
- Ongoing development of team composition and structure to ensure that it is fit for purpose, develop job descriptions, follow up field staff related recruitment processes and orientation of staff. Proactively seek to increase the numbers of national staff members in the field team and nationalization of posts.
- Development of overall staff competence through leadership, training and coaching of technical and management key field staff.
- Provide technical oversight to AMs reporting responsibilities.
- Participate in country level strategic planning and contribute to the sustainable management of program growth with a continual eye to new program development that addresses displacements and meets the needs of beneficiaries.
- In collaboration with DRC Head of Programme (HoP) and Head of Support Services (HoSS) lead the Sudan annual programme portfolio analyses, and prepare Area Office-level budgets within context of country Master Budget.
- Foster synergies between program areas (integrated approach), support the strong integration of protection and gender throughout all humanitarian initiatives and ensure adherence to Sphere standards or any other international standards when relevant.
- Facilitate assessment and rapid response in any humanitarian situation, with written report and recommendation to initiate and setup relevant emergency projects if a response is decided on.
- Playing a key role in fundraising and donor contract management.
Operations Implementation & Coordination
- Provide oversight, guidance and leadership to all aspects of delivery and implementation in Sudan, including ensuring timely reporting, compliance and quality utilizing routine monitoring and feedback into programme implementation.
- Ensure effective and transparent budget follow up, planning and use of financial resources in compliance with DRC and donor policies and priorities and ensure use of program management tools and real time BFU.
- Develop a close and productive working relationship with Area Offices and the technical team in coordination with the HoP to ensure that all aspects of programs are implemented to maximum affect and compliant with DRC and donor regulations.
- Effectively stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- In collaboration with HoP, ensure that all projects contribute to measuring impact and are in line with DRC’s country strategic plan.
Donor liaison, Partnerships and Representation
- Represent DRC’s Sudan programme to funders and potential donors.
- Cultivate key relationships in day-to-day engagement that enhance DRC’s visibility, credibility in Sudan with key government and other stakeholders.
- Work with Country Safety Manager and Area Managers to ensure oversight of implementation of Safety Risk Management System in the Area Offices and project areas.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Development and/or Humanitarian Assistance, Project Management, or any other related field
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in program management, leadership, and design in countries of conflict or post-conflict,
- Minimum 4 years of experience in managing complex emergency operations, including 2 years at country senior management level
- Demonstrated experience and skill in proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Proven experience in effectively coordinating with National Governments, International and National NGO partners and a variety of working with and coordinating with a variety of donors and consortia including BHA, UNHCR, ECHO and OCHA.
- Preferably previous successful experience with DRC.
- Proven experience in managing integrated programs as well as capacity building.
Contract: One year contract . Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment Employment band E; Non-accompanied
Availability: August 2023
Duty station: Gedaref/Sudan (depending on visa approval/access candidate might be asked to temporarily work from Nairobi/Kenya)
Reporting Line: Country Director
Application process for the Head of Operations in Sudan
Interested to apply? All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
Application Deadline: July 14, 2023
Head of Operations in Sudan