Excellence Scholarship Programme from the Government of Mexico for International Students 2023 at Honours, Masters or Doctoral Levels (Tuition Fee Cover + Medical Cover +Monthly Stipend + Air flights)
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE), through the Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID), summons foreigners interested in studying in Mexico, at the levels of specialty, master’s degree, doctorate and postgraduate research, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate student mobility programs, to participate in the “Call for Excellence Scholarships of the Government of Mexico for Foreigners 2023”.
Excellence Scholarship Programme from the Government of Mexico for International Students 2023
The Call is offered to more than 180 countries, within the framework of bilateral agreements, multilateral mechanisms and special agreements. More than 80 Mexican Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) participate in this Call and all have academic programs registered in the National Postgraduate System of the National Council of Science and Technology. These programs testify to the progress that the country has achieved in various areas of science and humanities.
Through the granting of Excellence Scholarships from the Government of Mexico for foreign students, Mexico strengthens its role as an actor with global responsibility and endorses its commitment to foster cooperation actions to promote the formation of high-level human capital. The presence in Mexico of foreign students, academics and scientists, women and men, contributes to the construction of permanent and long-term dialogue bridges that enrich the foreign policy agenda with actions of exceptional value for the country and for its foreign partners. . Likewise, HEIs and the Mexican academic community benefit from greater internationalization.
The Call for Merit Scholarships
On behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID) invites foreign citizens who are interested in studying for a specialization, master’s degree or doctorate, conducting graduate or postdoctoral research, or taking part in an undergraduate or graduate -level academic mobility program, to participate in the 2023 Mexican Government Scholarship Program for International Students.
The scholarships are offered to more than 180 countries through a series of bilateral conventions, multilateral programs and special agreements. More than 80 Mexican institutions participate and all offer academic programs registered with the National Council for Science and Technology (CONACYT) as National Postgraduate System. These programs demonstrate the progress made by Mexico in the sciences and humanities.
By offering Mexican government scholarships for international students, Mexico strengthens its role as an actor with global responsibility and renews its commitment to cooperation programs that help create highly-skilled human capital. The presence in Mexico of international students, academics and scientists helps build permanent bridges of dialogue that enrich the long-term foreign policy agenda through contributions of exceptional value for the country and its partners abroad. In addition, the Mexican institutions and academic community benefit from the increased internationalization.
To contribute to the development of high-level academic human capital by granting scholarships for full-time, in-person training programs in Mexico at the Master’s and Doctoral levels, student mobility at the undergraduate and Master’s levels, as well as postgraduate stays.
Modality Maximum duration of scholarship award;
- Undergraduate Mobility Program 24 months maximum
- Master’s Mobility Program 12 months maximum
- Master’s Program 24 months maximum
- Doctoral Program 36 months maximum
- Postgraduate Research Stays (Master’s, Doctoral, and Postdoctoral) 12 months maximum
AMEXCID will grant the selected applicants:
1. For Master’s scholarships, mobility at the Bachelor’s and Master’s levels, and Master’s level research, a monthly stipend of 4 (four) times the monthly value of the the Federal Economic Measurement Unit (UMA), currently equivalent to $12,614.80 (Twelve thousand six hundred fourteen pesos and 80/100 M.N.) per month. The UMA is subject to changes established by law. (Stipend is paid in the following month).
2. For Doctoral scholarships and research stays at the doctoral and postdoctoral levels, a monthly stipend of 5 (five) times the monthly value of the UMA, currently equivalent to $15,768.50 (Fifteen thousand seven hundred sixty-eight pesos and 50/100 M.N.). The UMA is subject to changes established by law. (Stipend is paid in the following month).
3. Enrollment and tuition, under the provisions of the program of each Mexican Educational Institution (Annex 1), subject to the final decision of each Institution, issued through their acceptance letter. Medical insurance through the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS). The coverage will begin from the seventh month of the scholarship and will last for a period similar to the scholarship period granted (Annex 2).
5. Payment waiver for issuing the Mexican visa.
6. International air flight transportation upon satisfactory completion of the academic program. AMEXCID will determine the flight route. Please refer to the list of countries to which this benefit is given (Annex 3).
7. National Transportation. If the studies are carried out outside Mexico City, transportation from Mexico City to the host city of the receiving academic institution will be covered, as well as transportation back to Mexico City upon completion of the scholarship period with a satisfactory result of academic activities. Only applicable for national airfare or ground transportation (Annex 4).
8. In all applicable cases, AMEXCID will purchase the air flight ticket; any purchase made individually will not be subject to refunds.
9. Any changes the scholarship recipient wishes to make to the airline ticket purchased by AMEXCID after issuance will be covered by the recipient.
10. If the national transportation assigned is ground transportation, the scholarship recipient must pay for the bus fare and will be reimbursed for the amount spent.
11. The administration and management of the aforementioned benefits will be the responsibility of AMEXCID’s Direction of Academic Exchange and selected candidates will be notified before the scholarship is formalized.
The selection of applicants is made without any distinction based on ethnic origin, gender, age, disabilities, social status, health conditions, religion, opinions or sexual preferences, marital status, or any other situation and/or condition that undermines human dignity and aims to nullify or undermine people’s rights and freedoms, and is subject to the following criteria:
1. Delivery of all the documents requested in this call.
2. Academic excellence background of the applicant.
3. Preference will be given to the applicant who has never received an AMEXCID scholarship.