Join UN HABITAT African Clean Cities Platform Associate Members
31 March 2024
About African Clean Cities Platform ; Join UN HABITAT African Clean Cities Platform Associate Members 2023
Africa has with 3.5% the highest urbanization rate in the world. It is one major reason why municipal solid waste management has become a big challenge for many cities in the region; low-income cities in Africa are expected to double their municipal solid waste generation within the next 15-20 years. To address this ever-increasing waste issue, the African Clean Cities Platform (ACCP) was established in 2017 in Maputo, Mozambique, by 24 African countries together with the Ministry of Environment of Japan (MoEJ), the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), the City of Yokohama, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat).
It serves as a platform for knowledge exchange and international cooperation for improved solid waste management in Africa.
Join UN HABITAT African Clean Cities Platform Associate Members
African Clean Cities Platform Associate Members
Mission: By 2030, African countries realize clean and healthy cities and achieve the Sustainable Developing Goals (SDGs) on waste management.
Vision: To provide an open platform to support African countries and cities to find their own measures and solutions for sound waste management and the achievement of SDGs.
As of January 2022, 99 cities and 43 countries have become members of ACCP and various activities in the below listed action areas have been carried out since its establishment:
- Knowledge sharing and networking: ACCP Assemblies are organized to share knowledge and experience in conjunction with TICAD (Tokyo International Conference on African Development).
- Promoting the achievement of waste SDGs targets: Capacity development and training programmes are provided for ACCP members to achieve waste related SDG targets, as well as online knowledge sharing and learning opportunities provided.
- Supporting project development in waste management: Using the Waste Wise Cities Tool as a standard data collection tool, ACCP supports member cities to develop evidence-based tangible projects on the ground.
The ACCP Secretariat is hosted by UN-Habitat and conducts activities in the three action areas, based on the strategic direction provided by the Steering Committee. The Steering Committee consists of Ministry of the Environment Japan, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Yokohama City, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and is responsible for reviewing ACCP activities and providing guidance to the ACCP Secretariat on the effective and efficient implementation of ACCP’ mandate and activities. All parties involved in ACCP are part of the ACCP Assembly, which meets every three years at TICAD.
Call for ACCP Associate Members
UN-Habitat is calling for Expressions of Interest to become ACCP Associate Members, in order to facilitate evidence-based tangible solid waste management projects on the ground, based on Waste Wise Cities Tool results in member cities and countries.
To receive quick updates subscribe to our platforms; (if you have joined any of our platforms share the links with your networks
Join our WhatsApp group (if you have joined one of our WhatsApp groups don’t join this group) by clicking here https://chat.whatsapp.com/Fh2Izpz8rUXEvPh2iAfA6M .
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/company/united-nations-careers-com/
Website : https://unitednationscareers.com/
Join our Facebook group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/545072486807074 Follow us on twitter : https://twitter.com/unacareers_com
Join our Telegram Group by clicking here : https://t.me/unitednationscareer
ACCP Associate Members already work on solid waste management and share the objective, mission, vision and actions of ACCP. They are willing and capable of contributing to sound solid waste management in Africa through the co-development of solid waste management projects with ACCP.
ACCP Associate Members are expected to work on a voluntary basis and support ACCP through providing support in tangible waste management project development by participating in periodic meetings organized by the ACCP Secretariat. There are no financial obligations required to become an ACCP Associate Member.
Benefits of becoming an ACCP Associate Member
Interested parties may derive the following benefits in becoming ACCP Associate Members:
- Regular ACCP Associate Member meetings to provide data and information for potential municipal solid waste management projects to be further developed, as well as networking opportunities.
- Access to MSWM data and sophisticated data analytics in cities in Africa, collected through Waste Wise Cities Tool (WaCT), a globally standardized methodology to monitor SDG indicator 11.6.1 (% of municipal solid waste collected and managed in controlled facilities out of total municipal solid waste generated by city). See more details here.
- Access to feasibility study-ready project concept notes in ACCP cities, developed based on the data collected with WaCT and in consultation with public and private waste chain stakeholders.
- Access to a network of African cities and countries with knowledge and capacity on municipal solid waste management based on various ACCP capacity development and training programmes.
Eligibility to Join UN HABITAT African Clean Cities Platform Associate Members
Development cooperation organizations, including bilateral and multilateral donors, development banks, regional institutions in Africa, international institutions, governmental/ non-governmental organizations, and other actors fulfilling the criteria mentioned above (work in solid waste management aligned with ACCP’s vision and mission).
Submitting Expressions of Interest for Join UN HABITAT African Clean Cities Platform Associate Members
A party wishing to express its interest to become an ACCP Associate Member must submit an official letter (on letterhead with signature, addressed to Andre Dzikus, Chief, Urban Basic Services Section, Urban Practice Branch of UN-Habitat, indicating its interest and the following information:
- Overall background or interest of the institution in the area of solid waste management;
- The support/ contribution the institution is willing to make;
- Governance and organizational structure; experience and qualifications of proposed focal person;
All Expressions of Interest, or other enquires, must be submitted to ACCP@un.org with the header ACCP Associate Member”.
Upon selection, UN-Habitat will send a letter of confirmation of membership to the selected entity. The Associate Members will not receive any remuneration for their services.
The work outlined in this EOI is scheduled to commence in April 2022 with the first virtual meeting of the ACCP Associate Members. Currently, the African Clean Cities Platform is planned to run until the end of 2030.
Please note that this Expression of Interest notice does not constitute a solicitation. UN-Habitat reserves the right to change or cancel this requirement at any time in the Expressions of Interest process.
Submitting a reply to an Expression of Interest does not guarantee that a Cooperation Partner will be considered.