Programme Associate: Climate Change SC6 (12 months renewable contract), Windhoek, Namibia
- Organization: WFP – World Food Programme
- Location: Namibia
- Grade: Consultancy – SB-3 (SC6/SC7), Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement
- Occupational Groups:
- Administrative support
- Meteorology, Geology and Geography
- Renewable Energy sector
- Climate Change
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2023-06-01
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
To receive quick updates subscribe to our ; (if you have joined any of our platforms share the links with your networks
Join our WhatsApp group (if you have joined one of our WhatsApp groups don’t join this group) by clicking here https://chat.whatsapp.com/Fh2Izpz8rUXEvPh2iAfA6M .
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/company/united-nations-careers-com/
Website : https://unitednationscareers.com/
Join our Facebook group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/545072486807074 Follow us on twitter : https://twitter.com/unacareers_com
Join our Telegram Group by clicking here : https://t.me/unitednationscareer
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 120 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas. We manage an operating budget of approximately $5.9 billion each year, distributing 12.6 billion rations to those most in need. We reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries each year. The World Food Programme office in Johannesburg is a Regional Office coordinating and supporting the delivery of humanitarian assistance to 12 Southern Africa countries including, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Malawi, Madagascar, Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo Brazzaville, Tanzania, Angola
The World Food Programme in Namibia works with the Government and stakeholders to promote sustainable and transformative food systems including value chain actor programming that is leveraged to support the Government in the design and implementation of holistic interventions to address : Rural Transformation; Food Systems and Human Capital Development.
During the design and implementation of programmes, WFP and partners continue to support:
- Data and Analytics,
- Policy and Programme Advice
- Operational Support, with the integration of core cross-cutting priorities including protection, gender, livelihood support, environmental standards, and digital transformation.
To support programmes that enhance climate-adaptive food systems with a special focus on the engagement of women and young smallholder farmers while ensuring that focus is on most vulnerable and smallholder farmers to improve their coping capacities to climate change and gain a more meaningful role in the economic development of the country.
This position is based in Windhoek, Namibia with frequent travel across all regions of Namibia
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Assist in the definition of a roadmap for the actualization of Climate Response Strategies and Activities jointly with Office of the Prime Minister and other relevant Ministries;
- Support quality strategic and technical assistance on policy and capacity strengthening support;
- Assist project management support and provide technical oversight ensuring coordination and integration with other programme activities;
- Coordinate joint actions that contribute to the Food-Climate-Water-Energy Nexus;
- Support to strengthen synergies with private sector;
- Assist in the enhancement of WFP’s value proposition in forums relating to Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation;
- Coordinate operational research and evidence building on issues relevant to climate-related thematic areas;
- Assist in the preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports, publications, and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use;
- Design and coordinate assessments, surveys as well as concept notes and programme/proposal;
- Support to coordinate the implementation and reporting of the UNPAF Environmental Pillar
- Support Activity managers in long term resource mobilization for projects and programs at country level; and
- Perform Other duties as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- At least 5 years’ experience in any or more of the following areas (economics, food systems, monitoring and evaluation, rural development, climate change adaptation, social science, development studies or relevant field).
- Desirable experience, progressively responsible work on designing and implementing interventions at national or community levels focusing on climate change adaptation, climate and disaster risk management, or related area.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Degree in Economics, Rural Development, Climate Change Adaptation, Social science, Development studies or a field relevant to international development assistance.
Experience: At least 5 years’ experience in any or more of the following areas (economics, food systems, monitoring and evaluation, rural development, climate change adaptation, social science, development studies or relevant field).
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)||Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.|
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas||Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.|
|Emergency Programming||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government||Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.|
- This is a 12 Months renewable Service Contract
- Benefits: Annual Leave, Pension & Medical Insurance
- Monthly salary range: NAD 24,872 – NAD 33,134
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The vacancy announcement will closeon 31 May 2023, 23.59 South African time.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.