Protocol Assistant Job at USA Embassy in Zambia
Announcement Number: LUSAKA-2023-024
Hiring Agency: Embassy Lusaka
Position Title: Protocol Assistant
Open Period: 06/01/2023 – 06/14/2023
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT+2Series/Grade: LE – 0120 7
Salary: ZMW ZK181,025.36 /Per Year Work Schedule: Full-time -Promotion Potential: LE-7Duty Location(s):
Lusaka, ZATelework Eligible: Yes
For More Info: HR Section
Hiring Path:• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM – FP is FP-07.
Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
• All Interested Applicants / All SourcesSecurity Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation Appointment Type Permanent Appointment Type Details:• Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply. Summary:
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: NoTravel Required: Occasional Travel
Travel to attend required training within the Africa region
The Protocol Assistant works with the Senior Protocol Assistant to advise the Ambassador, the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM), their spouses, and other Mission officials on proper protocol procedures, liaises with the offices of high-ranking officials, and prepares guest lists, invitations, and official correspondence. The Protocol Assistant also serves as House Manager of the Ambassador’s Residence and is responsible for coordinating with Embassy staff to host representational functions, including all protocol/logistical/catering functions. The incumbent will back-up the Senior Protocol Assistant. The Protocol Assistant reports directly to the Senior Protocol Assistant.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Two years of secretarial or administrative experience is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have good communication and interpersonal skills. Must be able to learn protocol procedures and identify high-ranking individuals. Incumbent should be knowledgeable about the current political, social, and economic climate and be able to have contacts within government Ministries. The position should have a basic understanding of the formal and informal etiquette accepted in Zambia as well in the international community.Education Requirements:
Two years of college or university studies is required. Evaluations:
LANGUAGE: Fluent written/spoken English proficiency is required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communications skills. Accurate keyboard and typing skills are required for the position. Incumbent should possess good computer skills and be able to use MS Office suite of applications. Ability to work as a team player and effectively collaborate with other departments and/or external contacts.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.Qualifications:
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lusaka, Zambia may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.Other Information:
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust – Background Investigation clearance.
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.Required Documents:
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
• College/University Studies Diploma/Certificate
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• Passport copy
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)Next Steps:
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lusaka, Zambia.